Saturday, October 22, 2016

Asylum Annie - First Horror / Shadow Self Doll

Asylum Annie - Created October 12, 2016
*SOLD*

This girl had been running around in my mind for well over a year. I've been wanting to start a series of what I'm going to call Shadow Self Dolls. Carl Jung stated the shadow to be the unknown dark side of the personality that we may not be aware of, and could either be positive or negative. Annie is the first. And is a bit negative in nature.

I love the show American Horror Story - my favorite season being "Asylum", as well as the "ghost hunting" shows that investigate the decrepit, haunted mental sanatoriums and asylums. For some reason I feel connected to those locations. I feel compassion and a deep sadness for those that were mistreated in those institutions. All they really needed was help and attention.

Then there were those locked away that were perhaps incapable of being helped, suffocated by a darkness so thick not a ray of light could shine through.

I created this doll with that vision in mind and named her Annie, a nickname I detested when I was a kid. I was a bit of a mental case myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment